Saturday, March 29, 2008

Day 89 - Cherry Blossom Time

Around our part of the country, the National Cherry Blossom Festival, which started today, announces that spring has arrived. Against our better judgment, we decided to brave the masses and drove into DC to check them out. There's more, along with more photos, on my regular blog and over at Lews Pics.

There are newer weeping varieties along with some of the original trees from Japan at East Potomac Park/Hains Point.

Delicate, flufffy mounds of pink and white.

Since it hasn't really been overly windy, apparently the weight of the blooms on this original specimen was enough to cause it to break. Over the years, most of the original trees have developed disease and are being replaced as they weaken and die out.

Y'all know I can't resist close-ups and these beauties were perfect candidates for my camera.

All in all, a beautiful jaunt into the city, and very much worth the effort and traffic.

6 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

If that doesn't scream Spring, I don't know what does!

Anonymous said...

So so pretty!

Gawdess said...

makes me think of beautiful bride gowns - the broken one made me a little sad.

Anna said...

These are so gorgeous! I love trees that bloom before their leaves come in.

A.

lynette said...

Stunning shots! I just wanted to reach in and help that broken one though :( So sad.

Desert Songbird said...

I envy you, being able to see this.