Monday, January 21, 2008

Day 21 - Brrrrrr

"Many rhododendron species protect themselves by turning their leaves downward and rolling them parallel to the midvein when it is extremely cold. This protects them by decreasing the area exposed to the sun, which keeps the leaves from warming up and losing water." (Pamela S. Mercure, Univ. of CT)

Even the front yard rhododendron have hunkered down and snuggled together to stay warm in the bitter cold we're having. Taking a teeny-tiny clue from nature, I didn't even attempt to stick my nose out the door today... wellll, except for sticking it out the window to take the pictures!

8 comments:

~**Dawn**~ said...

Missing those abnormally warm temperatures from a couple of weeks ago? ;-)

marianne said...

lol - oh, you have no idea!! I wanna live with you! ;)

~**Dawn**~ said...

C'mon down! LOL

Desert Songbird said...

Definitely a big change from a view weeks ago, huh? When the plants look cold, you KNOW it's cold!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I don't have rhododendrons, but I have some plants that have been doing some of that lately. Great shot!

Hope you have a happy, warm and cozy day!

Trish said...

Wow, I can't believe how GREEN yours is! I'm not sure ours survived last summer's drought. It's all brown and crispy. I hope so though...they sure are lovely when they are in bloom! What color are the flowers on yours? Mine are pink!

Ampersand said...

They look like I feel in the cold.

lynette said...

I just learned something, thanks. I'll have to go check my rhodies too!! They look so cold and msierable, like the rest of us.