Friday, April 18, 2008

Day 109 - F. Scott Fitzgerald, author - 1896-1940

Knowing where to find a perfect photo op for this week's literary theme, we trekked on down the road today to F. Scott Fitzgerald's grave at St. Mary's Catholic church (Lew has more photos and some church history) cemetery in Rockville, MD.

Francis Scott Key, author of The Star Spangled Banner and a distant cousin,
was Fitzgerald's namesake. Key is also buried in Maryland, at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, here in Frederick. His gravesite appeared in my Project 365 last year, here.

"So we beat on, boats against the current,
borne back ceaselessly into the past."
F. Scott Fitzgerald,
The Great Gatsby

The last sentence in The Great Gatsby, considered to be Fitzgerald's masterpiece.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a perfect photo and I love the quote!

~**Dawn**~ said...

YOu find the coolest things to photograph, Marianne! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with next.

Desert Songbird said...

I've read The Great Gatsby many, many times - one of my favorites.

I didn't know that F. Scott and Mr. Key were related. Thanks for the insight.